Make Want Want Milk ice cream at home
Making ice cream at home can be difficult. Freeze a tub of cream into the freezer and you’ll get a hard block of cream in a few hours. But by introducing air and condensed milk to cream, along with a little nostalgic addition, you can whip up a creamy Want Want Milk Ice Cream in less than an hour.
This popular childhood drink gives the ice cream not just a velvety-smooth texture, but also an added boost of milkiness.
Head to the bottom of this article for the full recipe!
We start off by making our flavour base. This is done by reducing condensed milk with Want Want milk. While condensed milk and Want Want milk don’t have much water in them, we’re still going to boil out as much of it as possible to concentrate its flavours.
This process should take around 10 minutes, or until the mixture has been reduced by half.
We’ll then have to cool down the condensed milk mixture. This ensures that it does not cook the cream as they get mixed through. This is easily done by stirring the mixture over an ice bath and rapidly cooling it down.
Break out a clean mixing bowl and beat a chilled portion of heavy cream with a hand mixer until soft peaks form.
They’re ready when the cream holds up slightly, but fall back into themselves after a brief second.
Add a quarter of the condensed milk mixture to the cream and mix lightly with a whisk. Pour in the rest of the condensed milk mixture, a hint of vanilla extract, a tinge of salt, and fold everything to combine. The folding motion traps the air in the cream, making it light and airy.
Pour the mixture into a baking tray or freezer-proof container, cover with cling wrap, and place in the freezer for at least six hours or overnight.
Peel apart the cling wrap and let the ice cream thaw for at least five minutes at room temperature. The end result should be a silky smooth ice cream that ought to please any sweet tooth.
The science behind making your own ice cream in the freezer lies in the condensed milk, which has all of its water boiled out of it. This gives it a lower freezing point, preventing the cream from freezing up.
The recipe is ready in about 30 minutes and is much more affordable than buying an expensive tub of premium ice cream from the supermarket. If you’re looking for more party recipes, be sure to check out our Watermelon soju jelly or spicy mala nuggets recipes!
Want Want Milk Ice Cream recipe
Yield: Serves 8
Cooking time: 30 minutes
1.5 cups heavy cream, chilled
80g condensed milk
100ml Want Want milk
¼ teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Want Want biscuit to garnish
1) In a saucepan, cook the condensed milk with Want Want milk until the mixture has been reduced to half. This should take around 10 minutes.
2) Remove the condensed milk mixture from the heat and chill over an ice bath while stirring constantly with a rubber spatula. Stop stirring when the mixture is thoroughly chilled.
3) In a separate clean mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream with a hand mixer until soft peaks form.
4) Whisk in a quarter of the condensed milk mixture to the cream, before folding in the rest of the mixture with the vanilla essence and salt using a rubber spatula.
5) Pour into a freeze-proof container, wrap with cling wrap, and freeze for at least six hours, preferably overnight.
Photos taken by Huang Xiao.